Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Day Four!

I will admit that by day four of our vacation, I was getting a little tired. So I told Joel I was sleeping in, and that's exactly what I did. It was glorious! Of course, sleeping in meant getting a bit of a late start to the day, but it was worth it.

We weren't able to do a tour of the White House. We did request one, and did all the required paperwork, etc.  But we were told that demand was too high, so we didn't make the cut. But Thursday morning we headed to the white house anyway, to get some pictures. They had a secondary barricade set up in front of the permanent fence, thanks to that one guy who jumped the fence and tried to get into the white house all those months ago. 

After pictures of the white house we ate lunch at Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken. I was super excited to try their creme brulee doughnut, which turned out to be just okay. However, the fried chicken was amazing, and the cherry blossom doughnut was crazy good.

Next we saw a Macy's so we decided to do a bit of shopping. Really I was looking for shoes. I had worn my trusty Nike sandals pretty much all through my New York trip with no trouble, but they just couldn't hack it this time. My feet were hurting! Luckily I found some cute Sketchers walking shoes, which saved my feet for the rest of the trip!

We then visited the American Art Museum and the National Portrait Gallery, which are in the same building. There were a lot of very famous portraits there, obviously. It was neat to see the originals of pictures that you've seen your entire life. 

On to the Crime and Punishment Museum! This was another of my favorite museums. There were so many interesting things to see and learn about. There was a lot of interactive and hands-on things there, which made me think the kids would enjoy it. But then I decided there were some things in that museum that I maybe wouldn't want my kids seeing. Like the medieval torture devices, an actual electric chair where almost two hundred people were executed, stuff like that. We found it fascinating, though! 

After dinner at Hard Rock Cafe we went over to Lafayette Square to hang out for a bit and wait for our Ghost Tour. Once it got dark our Ghost tour started. We didn't see any ghosts, but we did hear some interesting stories. And it was fun to see the White House all lit up at night!



 The creme brulee doughnut. Not as good as I'd expected.

 Joel's maple bacon doughnut wasn't bad.

This is the portrait they use on the $100 bill.



I didn't do it!





No comments: