Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Day of School

Jenna and Will had their first day of school today! Last Monday Will had his Kindergarten roundup where they did a mini screening with the kids, and showed the parents around the school a little. Yesterday evening was the Meet the Teacher Open House, and that was the first time that all of us were able to really get into the school and see what was where. It's a large school with a lot of kids.

Jenna has been excited for school, but I think she got really nervous after the open house. She was less sure that she wanted to ride the bus to school, and she asked if school would be as busy/crowded as the open house. I tried to assuage her fears, but I'm sure it hasn't helped that I've been voicing my concerns about the bus and a large school for a few weeks now. She obviously picked up on all of that.

It was great to meet both Jenna's and Will's teachers; they both seemed like nice, competent teachers. We also dropped off our MANY supplies, which took two trips to bring in! They weren't joking around when they wrote the school supply lists.

We were up and ready in plenty of time this morning with little hassle and no drama. We walked just down the road to the bus stop, where we saw a few people we know from the ward. We chatted about the bus and I asked the Mom if they'd had any problems. It's nice to have people to take to about our concerns. We had to hang around the bus stop for awhile (probably not as long as it seemed), but when the bus pulled up both kids ran and got on without so much as a goodbye! I wanted to get a picture of them getting on, but I wasn't fast enough.

Here are the boys on the way to the bus stop. Adam wore his backpack, too. He was a little sad that he didn't get to go to school.

Jenna was leading the way.

Waitin on the curb.




And... on the bus.

Joel and I got a lot done while they were gone. We even had a long, productive trip to Costco, and at the end we weren't pulling our hair out. Wonderful! I tried not to think about the kids too much because when I did, I worried. Did Jenna find where she needed to go? Did she find anyone she knew on the playground? Is Will eating his lunch, or is it all going to be there when he gets home? Are they having fun? Are people being nice to them? So... I tried not to think about it.

When it was time for them to come home Joel and I waited at the bus stop. The bus was a little late, which feels a lot late in the afternoon sun. :) But I found some shade to stand in so it wasn't that bad. Of course I had worried that they hadn't gotten on the right bus, or that they had gotten off at a different stop. My worries were unfounded; they were both on the bus, they saw us when the bus pulled up, and they got off the bus with big smiles.

They had both had a wonderful, fun day. No one got lost, they ate their lunches, they had no trouble finding anything, and the other kids were nice. They both really enjoyed the bus ride, which was a big relief to everyone!

A few other things that have happened that I haven't blogged about: Adam got his cast off on the 5th. The fractures are healed (he did have a fracture on his fifth metatarsal as well as the third). He has to wear sturdy shoes most of the time for the next week, equaling two weeks after the cast came off. He limps a little now and then, but he doesn't complain of any pain.

Jenna's birthday was on Sunday, the 8th. We didn't do much to celebrate because she chose to celebrate this coming Saturday on her baptism day. We did do cake and sung Happy Birthday. I can't believe she's eight years old!

We are looking forward to seeing all the family coming into town this weekend for the baptism! Everyone's rolling in tomorrow, and we can't wait!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I couldn't wait either! It has been so fun to see your new diggs. When I talk to you on the phone now I can imagine where you are.

Brenda said...

I need a new post Sar! I was just looking at your family picture that is at the top of your blog, and I was thinking about all the things that have happened to your family since that picture was taken. Mostly I thought of Adam and all of his excitement. He looks so innocent in that picture. But seriously, how about a birthday and baptism post?