Monday, August 18, 2014

Happy Birthday, Jenna!

We have a young woman in the house! And I'm not talking about me. :) Jenna turned twelve this year! Joel was out of town for her birthday because he was on a long camp-out with the young men, so we decided to head to Utah for a couple of days.

Jenna picked her own cake this year. She usually has pretty specific ideas of what she wants, but it was nothing too complicated. She wanted vanilla cake, chocolate filling and frosting, and decorated with white chocolate chips and oreos. I did the cake and the ganache frosting, and she decorated it how she wanted it.

In the afternoon on her birthday we picked up my niece, Brianna, who lives in Provo. We headed to the mall so Jenna could get her ears pierced! I could tell she was nervous, but she was fine and said it wasn't any worse than a shot. I decided to go ahead and pierce mine as well, since mine closed up years ago.

After the mall we went out to dinner at the restaurant of Jenna's choice, which was Outback. Yum!

Then it was back to Adrienne's house for presents and cake. Jenna was pleased with her presents this year (she always is, of course). She got a lot of fun earrings that she'll be able to wear soon, and a variety of other things, including her own Aunt Amy blanket.

The cake ended up being quite delicious, and afterwards we watched Rio 2, which Jenna had gotten for her birthday. She's already gone to Young Women's twice, mutual once, and one youth activity at the lake. I've decided that I really like that Joel is in Young Men's, so he can give her a ride to mutual and keep an eye on her at joint activities. :) 

She's really growing up!!















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was searching for a GF's blog and came across your interesting one. Saw your lovely family of two girls and read about your oldest recently getting her ears pierced and mommy too. We did our oldest when she asked at age 4, and did it for her birthday as well. I originally wanted our girls to decide as well, however, we found when one girl gets something, the other wants it too. Sound familiar? Want to share a funny story with you.

After piercing our ODD's ears, we came home, showed daddy and he really loved them. What happened next surprised me. Dh asked why I hadn't had our YDD's daughter, aged 2 years old ears pierced too? I didn't know what to say, but then our 4 yr chimed in saying she wanted her baby sister to have matching earrings like hers. Don't know if your older daughter is as solicitous of her younger baby sister as ours. I told him maybe she was too young? Wrong.

Now my family was ganging up on me! Everyone wanted both girls to have their ears pierced!

The next day, dh calls out to me from the family room asking me to come in there. Our 2 year old had gotten a pair of my pearl earrings and was trying to put them in her ears! She almost put one in her ear canal! Dh laughed and told me, I told you that you should have pierced a-l-l the girls ears He said, "...please take Missy, our two year old to have them pierced before we have to take one of them to the ER to remove an earring!

Well, I asked our ped about doing our toddler girl. To my surprise, she encouraged me to do it now when mommy can care for them properly causing fewer problems. It was summer time and I had a little more time so guess what...both my girls got their ears pierced ears within a week. Our 2 girls now have matching earrings and my husband loves all of his "daddy's little girls with earrings.!"

Don't know if you've considered having the YDD's ears pierced now too. But when she sees her older sister and Mommy with cute earrings, promise it won't be long. Looking back, our ped was right, it actually was a good idea and it wasn't even mine. Since I was the only one who needed convincing. I know they grow up fast, but I have to admit the girls all look adorable with matching earrings and get so many compliments "...how cute" they both look with them. Mommy too :)

If you've thought of having your YDD's ears pierced, maybe your mommy intuition is telling you to do it now. Since you've recently had your pierced again, know it would look super cute with all the girls in the family to have matching earrings.

Amy

Brenda said...

Loved all the pictures!