Sunday, April 18, 2010

Denver or Bust

I have seen the beauty of copying e-mails and posting them to the blog; it really saves me some typing! I've copied an e-mail to my sisters about our trip to Denver:

I thought I would write about our Saturday. We had a seriously great day! We took our kids to the Bade's and Chad's mother came over from Cheyenne to watch all six kids (a brave endeavor). We left Laramie around 8:30 and had a great time just riding down to Denver. We definitely don't get to hang out with the Bade's enough without our children. When we got to Denver we stopped at Krispy Kreme for a mid morning snack before hitting the temple. The "Hot & Fresh" sign was on and we all got a free doughnut while we were waiting in line! I did not know that this was something Krispy Kreme did, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. After picking out a dozen donuts (yes, a dozen, for the four of us:), we headed to the temple.

Believe it or not this is the first time Joel and I have ever been to the Denver temple. We know that is pretty lame, but we are happy we were able to finally do it. Sarah and Chad have been there countless times so it was great for Joel and I to both have a guide. :) We had planned this temple trip weeks ago and were really happy to be able to still do it after Adam was burned. We were worried about leaving him all day, but after seeing how great he was doing we knew he would be okay. We also knew it was important for us to get to the temple, especially now.

While sitting in the chapel waiting for the next session to start I grabbed a BOM and decided to flip open to a random page. Of course I had been thinking about Adam. I flipped open to Jacob and picked a verse. I saw that it was talking about the allegory of the olive tree and I almost flipped to a different page, thinking, "this isn't what I want to read about." But I decided that maybe I had picked that page and that verse for a reason, so I read the verse all the way through. It said, "Take thou the branches of the wild olive-tree and graft them in, in the stead thereof; and these which I have plucked off I will cast into the fire and burn them, that they may not cumber the ground of my vineyard." (Jacob 5:9) Of course I cried a little bit because what was the chance that I would pick a verse in the whole book that used the word "graft" when I was coming to pray that my son wouldn't need skin grafts. I had hoped that while I was there I would feel an assurance that he wouldn't need the grafts, but that didn't happen. Starting with that scripture I felt that he really might need the grafts, and that what Joel and I need to do is have faith that the Lord will take care of him and to just do our best with what comes our way.

Soon after that a man (a VERY tall man) came and asked Joel and I if we would like to be the witness couple. We've never done that before so we were not sure if we should even say yes, but Sarah assured me we would be fine (her and Chad have been the witness couple many many times), so we followed him and just did what he said! :) Really it was a fun thing to do and a neat experience. It turned out not to be scary at all, as I'm sure some of you must know because I'm sure some of you have done it before!

After the session, and buying a few garments, we headed out to lunch at P.F. Chang's. Joel and I had never been there, but man was it good. Have any of you been? Have you tried the lettuce wraps? They were so good that I could have licked the plate clean. After the meal we got our fortune cookies, and the message in mine seriously made me tear up. It said: "You will receive unexpected support over the next week. Accept it graciously." Who knew a fortune cookie could make you cry in the middle of a crowded Chinese restaurant? Well, it was a great message.

The drive home was a blast, of course, with lots of laughing, joking, teasing, Sarah cringing at Chad's driving, and eating more donuts. Good times. :) We got back to Laramie a little after 6 and our kids were great! Chad's Mom said that they had behaved themselves and Adam only cried for me when it was time for him to take a nap, but of course he quieted down after a minute or two. They didn't want to leave when it was time to go home. I could understand their sentiment.

We had such a great time, I am hoping that we will be able to get one more trip in before we move to Mesa.

At The Chang Man's house


On the way home...

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks for the post Sar! I'm sure glad that you were able to go!

Sarah B. said...

No words to describe what a GREAT day that was!!

charlesfam said...

What great times! I'm glad you were able to get the temple with Bades. I'm sure there was plenty of laughing and talking going on. Nick and I were the witness couple my 2nd time at the temple. I was terrified, but of course it was perfect. Thank you for sharing the scripture, too. The BOM is such an incredible tool. I often wonder how people survive this world without it. You are all in our prayers. Best of luck Friday.