Friday, April 23, 2010

Verdict

It was the moment of truth today. We went down to Denver for yet another dressing change for Adam. It was a miracle that we got to the hospital on time and in one piece; the roads were absolutely horrible with snow and rain. It was very stressful, to say the least.

The doctor came in to look at Adam's progress after all the bandages were taken off. They are pleased with the healing on his torso and they will let that continue to heal on its own. However, the large white spots on his leg aren't doing so well. The doctor told us that if we let them continue on their own they will take another 3-4 weeks to heal and will end up as large, raised, red scars. After he let that sink in for a second he told us that his recommendation is to go ahead and graft the leg so it will heal faster and with less scarring.

The surgery is scheduled for Monday afternoon and we will either come home Monday night or Tuesday morning. They will take a partial thickness skin graft from his other leg (meaning they will take all of the epidermis and part of the dermis, but won't get down to hair follicles and sweat glands and all that good stuff). He shouldn't scar too badly on his other leg. They are going to put his leg (the burned one) in a splint for a week. They said he won't be able to walk and we'll have to carry him everywhere; I can guarantee that Adam is going to HATE that!

My sister, Adrienne, is coming over from Utah to help us out with the other kids while Joel and I are in Denver with Adam. I am excited to see her, but not too happy about why she happens to be coming! I did cry a bit when we found out we were doing grafts, but I am feeling much better about it all now. I am focused on the fact that he is going to heal faster this way, and scar less.

They didn't dress his torso today, just his leg. They did put a bandage on the deepest spot on his side (which isn't sticking at all, by the way) because they want it to be open to the air. He's developed a bit of a yeast infection on the burn because it's been so warm and moist for three weeks. They prescribed an anti fungal that Joel is picking up right now, and we are putting anti fungal ointment on the burn instead of antibiotic.

Hopefully we'll be ready for this new endeavor, and I want to thank you all for the love and support we've received over the last three weeks!

Below you can see the area on his torso that was very white last week. Now it is pink and on its way to being healed.

You can see one of the spots on his leg that is going to get a graft. The other spot is on the front, and larger than this one.





9 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh, my poor little Adam boy! I don't want him to hurt anymore...I understand that it needs to be done. I sure thankful that they can fix things like this.

KrIStiN said...

Sorry u are having to go through this!! what an awful thing to go through! U and Joel seem to be handling it well though!! Your family is in my prayers! poor little guy!! Sending hugs...hope he gets better soon!

Michelle Croft said...

Love you!!

charlesfam said...

You are all so tough. I just keep thinking about the scripture you shared in one of your previous posts, and also, like you said, it's one week vs. weeks and bad scarring. I wish we were there and could do something, anything to be there for you guys. We're praying for you all.

The Asay's said...

OH man. Poor Adam. I hope that the surgery goes well. We will pray for him

Teri said...

I bet you can't wait for his pain to be over. I hope things go as smoothly as possible. You know we are about halfway between the trips you have to make...if there is anything we can do, just let me know.

Sarah B. said...

I bet it feels nice to know what is going to happen, though I know it isn't ideal. We will keep praying that all will go well. Love ya! Just let me know what you need next week...

nina said...

Whenever you feel upset just keep going back to the feeling you had when you were in the temple when you came across that scripture, hopefully it will bring you peace.

Darcy said...

oh my goodness! i feel so bad for him! i hope everything heals well! poor little guy...