Friday, April 9, 2010

Dressing Change

As I mentioned, we went back down to Denver today to get Adam's dressings changed. They did need it, as they were not covering some parts anymore. He was pretty active over the last few days, although he did slow down a lot from the first day. It was obvious that he was feeling a little stiff and hesitant to move.



Adam didn't have morphine for this dressing change; we gave him some oxycodone 30 minutes before his appointment to try and help with pain. I think the morphine made quite a difference last time, because in some ways it was worse today than it was on Tuesday. We could tell he was in pain, especially as the nurse took his old dressings off. They did stick a bit in some places. After the nurse got everything off we covered him up and she went to get all the supplies ready and tell the doctor that Adam was uncovered.



When the doctor came in he thought it looked better than last time. He said very confidently that his leg would heal completely on his own, and he thought all of his torso would as well. As the nurse redressed him, she gave us instructions on how to do it because Joel and I will be changing it next Tuesday at home. We also are supposed to put him in the bath when we change him. We are a little hesitant about that, but they reassured us that the water would sting at first but then would feel good. They sent us home with all of the supplies for changing, so we'll see if we can manage it next week. We do have to go back to Denver on Friday so they can change it there and see how it's healing.


Overall it wasn't too bad, but it was definitely hard to experience again. I hope that the dressings changes will get better (a lot better) as things heal.

Here we are, waiting for the doctor to come in.

The uppermost part of the burn that has the white color to it is the deepest area. If you click on the picture to make it larger you may be able to see the reddish dots, which is called "budding". It is the new skin beginning to grow.


5 comments:

Kathy said...

That poor little boy - my heart aches for him. I have been thinking a lot about little Adam over the past few days, and of course I've been of you too and hoping that you're staying positive and taking care of yourself. My prayers are with you all. May you all be blessed.
Hugs...

Michelle Croft said...

That last picture with his poor little sad face is heartbreaking. What a trooper to go through all of this (you and Joel too!).

Tippetts Family said...

We do know to an extent what you are going through. When Skyler was 4 months old I laid him on the living room floor while I ran to the bathroom. I thought nothing of it because he wasn't mobile at all yet! As I was finishing I heard him start to scream and I knew something was wrong. He had scooted on his back about 10 feet across the room until he butted his head up against the space heater which was on high! My heart stopped, as I know yours probably did when you saw Adam. He had 2nd degree burns on his head. He was always hurting himself because he would tug on his bandages. Thankfully through lots of prayers and blessings he came out with just a little scar where hair won't grow. Like I said nothing like what you are going through, but I think to a mother when you see blisters and blood on your baby, your heart hurts just the same! Our prayers are with you. Good luck!

charlesfam said...

Thank you for filling me in! I've been thinking about you guys constantly. He is one fortunate little boy. You are still in our prayers, and I hope he continues to heal as he should. We love your family.

br_oden said...

Sarah, I saw about this on Cindys FB. I am so sorry to hear about your precious boy. Having dealt with Kyle's brain tumor and chemo for the last year + I can relate to the helpless feeling of wanting to help your child. We have had a hospital stay and many midnight runs to the ER. Pheonix Childrens is amazing! It sounds like Adam is a little tropper just like Kyle. This kids are amazing. They really help you get through the rough times us grown ups worry about dont they. Glad to hear he is healing well from his surgery. Your family will be in my prayers.

Your cuz
Brittney