Friday, April 16, 2010

More Stuff

As I'm sure you all know we went down to Denver again today to get Adam's dressing changed. He did pretty great and didn't cry or complain TOO much.

We were both pleased and displeased with today. In most places his burns look so much better. The spot on his ribcage that was very white before has turned very pink and is healing well. Many of the superficial burns are basically healed. However, there is a white spot on his side that looks a lot whiter than it did before. I'm not sure if that's because it was covered with dead skin before or what, but it now is very white.

When the doctor looked at it he asked how far out we were, we told him it's been 13 days, and he told us that when we got back next Friday they will make the decision about whether to graft or not. He didn't sound confident that they WOULDN'T have to graft, and I didn't like that much. He said that if they did graft they would most likely take the skin from him other thigh. They would do it the following Monday, the 26th.

I am still very hopeful that he will continue to heal and they will decide not to do any grafts. There are many reasons that I don't want him to have to get grafts, some of which include having to be put under general anesthesia, being admitted to the hospital again, and having his other leg hurt. We are praying hard that he will heal on his own, and Joel is going to give him another blessing.

I also asked the doctor about scarring, and he kind of looked at me like I might be crazy and said, "It's going to scar." It makes me sad to think that my baby is going to have permanent marks from this trauma. I hope that they won't be too bad and that it won't effect his self esteem or body image as he grows up. It's hard to imagine his skin being permanently altered from what it looked like just two weeks ago, before all of this happened.

We are lucky to be able to go to the temple tomorrow with some friends and I am looking forward to it so much, especially at this time in our little boy's life.




4 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow! that IS white. Rats! We will step up the prayers also. I love you guys! Hang in there!

Nicole said...

Sarah Hang in there. I will pray for you guys too. Thanks for keeping us all updated. Hopefully the scar won't be too bad. We love you guys

charlesfam said...

I'm grateful for the updates, and the pictures just demonstrate what you're all going through. We're praying for you and hope he doesn't need surgery of any type.

jmw said...

Hi Sarah - don't know if you remember me, it's Joanne Welch. (Married to Chris Welch, we were in Laramie for a bit, now in CA...) I just had to follow the link on Sarah Bade's blog when I saw the photo! I'm sooo sorry to hear about your family's ordeal!! We will keep you guys in our prayers for sure. Lots of love from the Welchs. <3