Monday, October 6, 2008

My New Project

Awhile ago I was bored and looking through our e-mail account that we've had since we got married. There is a folder called "Joel" and a folder called "For Joel". These folders are what we used while Joel was in Iraq. We would both write from the same e-mail account; Joel would send his e-mails into the inbox, and after I read them I would move them to the "Joel" folder. When I wrote to him, I would move them into the "For Joel" folder, so he would be able to tell when he had a new e-mail from me. I was looking through these folders and browsing over the e-mails we sent to each other, and realized that I really can't remember writing any of the e-mails, and don't remember most of the day-to-day stuff that went on while he was gone. Turns out my entire memery of that period is very sketchy. I have a few very vivid memories, and the rest is basically a blur. Anyway, my new project is that I am organizing our e-mails to each other in a Word document, with the ultimate goal of making them into a book that we can have as a keepsake, and something to pass on to our children. I've already got 34 pages of e-mails, and I'm only into February of 2005 (he was gone until December of '05). It's going to be long, but I'm excited that I'm finally doing it. Once I start, though, it's hard to stop. It's easy to say "I'll just put in one more e-mail". I don't read the e-mails as I'm moving them, because that would take WAY too long. But I do sort of browse them really quickly, and it's been fun to remember things, and also sad. It seems strange sometimes that Joel has been back for almost three years! And sometimes it's hard to believe he was gone at all. I'm lucky to have him, and I'm so happy that he is here with us, safe and sound.


Saturday, January 22, 2005 12:40:32 PM

From: Joel
To: Sarah

sarah, I just ordered a guitar from musicians friend. it was $108.94. There is a guy from my platoon who wanted to go halfsies on a guitar and this one was a nice guitar for super cheap so I just put it on our card before they ran out of them. Hope you don't mind too much. Hey, would you please send me an email with how much money we have in our account after each paycheck? Thanks sweety. oh by the way, I did put a checkbook in my footlocker didn't i? I think that I did but I couldn't remember. we haven't gotten those yet which isn't a concern. I was just wondering. if you can remember you can tell me. I miss you so much. this has been a really long day and i just want to curl up in your arms and tell you about it. I can't wait til I can do that again. I am gonna go now. I am signed up for the phone too and I am hoping that I am up soon. Gnight!

I love you!!!!!
jolo

Sunday, January 30, 2005 8:05:26 AM

From: Sarah
To: Joel

Hey honey. I just got done talking to you about 30 minutes ago. I'm SOOO glad you called. I still don't know what's wrong with the regular phone, hopefully I'll figure it out when I get off the computer. I'm sorry that you've had a hard week. What made it hard? I'm glad that you were able to give someone a BOM, I think that's pretty cool. It's a shame that other people just want to Bible bash, I'm glad you haven't really taken part in that. Well babe, I just wanted to tell you how wonderful it was to talk to you. Hopefully you'll be able to call again soon. I can't wait to find out when you get your R&R. Thinking about those two weeks really does get me through some of the tough spots. I miss you babe.

I love you!!!!
Sarah

2 comments:

Jadi said...

What a neat idea! I would love to read letters my parents wrote to each other. I am so happy Joel made it home safe. I can't believe it has already been 3 years!

Brenda said...

What a good project Sar! I enjoyed reading those two letters. I sure am glad that Joel is home with you guys. I love you 2! 5!