Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We're Here

It has been a long three days... very long... but we are here in our new apartment. On Monday morning I wasn't too confident that we would get to move that day. The maintenance man hadn't given us any keys, and I knew there was still some work that needed to be done on the apartment. Things weren't looking good. However, it brightened when Kirk (the maintenance man) pulled up to our new apartment fairly early. We can see the parking spaces for our new apartment from the back door of our old apartment. Anyway, so basically Kirk finished up the things that needed to be done, and I had keys in hand before noon.

When Joel got home from school a little after noon, it felt like the race was on. We started moving stuff over like we were on a game show or something, and if we beat the clock we could win a prize. (The only prize I won was a sore back) We moved the heavy stuff together, and I found out again that I am pretty wimpy. Especially compared to my he-man husband. Will has this dresser/bookcase/storage combo thing that is heavier than my bed, I swear. I was able to help Joel bring it down the stairs and over to the new place, but we had to leave it downstairs and wait for reinforcements to help Joel move it upstairs. By Monday evening I thought my arms were going to fall off. We were able to get a lot done, and we slept in the new apartment Monday night.

I was so exhausted I was sure that I would fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and then I would sleep like the dead. Sadly, I was so wrong. I couldn't fall asleep for anything. I was uncomfortable, both in my bed and just sleeping in this strange new place. My mind wouldn't stop racing, and I was so tired that I wanted to cry! I was able to finally get a few hours of sleep, but in the morning I woke up more tired than I was the night before. I also felt like I had been hit with a truck, I was so sore.

Lucky for me, I got to keep on moving the next day! On Tuesday I moved over the entire kitchen while Joel was at school. Then when he got home we double-teamed it and got even more done. Thankfully on Tuesday night I slept like I SHOULD have the night before, and even though I was still really tired when that darn alarm started beeping, I had at least had some rest.

Today was a whole lot more of the same, but it is finally done! Everything is at least in the new apartment. And tonight I actually got a lot of stuff put away. So now I just have to clean the old apt., and do a few more things here to get everything organized and feeling like home.

This definitely would have taken longer without the help of our awesome friends and neighbors, Michael and Emily! Michael helped Joel move some of the big heavy stuff (because I was too wimpy), and both Michael and Emily watched Adam for us so that we could actually work and get things done. Thank you, Asays!!!

So far we are liking this apt. It is strange to have our bedroom downstairs and the kids upstairs. We bought a monitor so that we could head Adam when he wakes up, so that has helped me feel a little less disconnected.

I wish I had some pictures to help break up this long post, but I haven't had a chance to pull out the camera yet, and I don't want anyone seeing my house as disorganized as it is right now! But soon I will put on some pictures of the new place so that you can get a feel for what it's like here.

Oh, our other exciting news! We are finally proud users of high speed internet! Yeah! The Bresnan guys came yesterday afternoon to hook it up, and it is amazing. How did we live without it for so long? If I had known it was so cheap I would have done it a long time ago. Shame on me. Oh well, we have it now! We also got our new computer today! It is an HP slimline, so the tower is a fraction of the size of a regular tower. It is nice how it makes more space on the computer desk.

One cute little thing; yesterday Will and I were talking about moving, and Will said, "Our old house is broken, huh." I told him that it's not broken, we just moved into a new one. And he was like, "Oh, but this house is broken for Layla (a little girl that lived in the apt before us) so she moved into a new house, but this house isn't broken for us." It was so cute! He says so many cute things in a day (and so does Jenna, for that matter), I wish I could remember them all and write them down.

As for Adam, he seems to be adjusting well. Something that's not as fun, he can now climb stairs. And he's pretty good at it! This can make things interesting for us. This morning we were trying to get everyone ready and out the door, and Adam kept going up the stairs. The problem, he doesn't know how to get down, and sometimes he loses his balance; not good. So Joel put some empty boxes in front of the stairs. Will was concerned that Adam would be able to move them, but Joel assured him that he wouldn't be able to, and that they would keep him downstairs. Less than a minute later, Adam has pulled himself on top of the upside down boxes (which were pretty tall) and is trying to go up the stairs again. It was a good idea Dad, but not tricky enough to trick this kid!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm glad that you're in your new place. I can't wait to see it. It seems like forever since I've see you guys.
Thanks from me also to Michael and Emily for helping my kids!

Ercanbracks said...

Hey Sarah, this is Ashley from our old Sound of Music Days in high school. Your family is darling and I am so glad I found your blog. I hope all is well with you.

charlesfam said...

Wow, that's a lot of work. You're amazing to have done all of that in just a few days. Your muscles may not be as big as Joel's, but you are tough. Way to go, Sarah. I hope we get to see your new place some day. Good luck getting settled and send pictures when you can.

Kathy said...

Well, little Ms. Robertson, you are just the cutest little Mom I think I've ever seen. It's amazing how far you've come since being one of my little Beehives. You're just so dang cute, and I love your little, perfect family. I admire you so very much and all that you've accomplished. You have reason to be proud of yourself. I think Jenna is such a beautiful little girl. She probably is teaching her teacher because she seems so very bright and grownup. Too bad you don't have Cindy there to help you get settled, huh? She loves your babies so very much.
Hugs...